Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 11

Where were you on September 11, 2001? That question seems to have replaced the question “Where were you when Jack Kennedy was shot” for my generation. I was a tiny girl, and don’t really have a clear recollection of the Kennedy assassination, but my memory of 9/11/01 is as vivid – probably more due to terror – as it was on that day.

This day began as the “International Day of Peace” proclaimed by the United Nations to occur on the opening day of the regular session of the UN General Assembly. (http://www.un.org/events/ref40.htm) A day intended by the United Nations to be devoted to “commemorating and strengthening the ideals of peace both within and among all nations and peoples" went so far to the opposite extreme that it is simply unfathomable.

On the eighth anniversary of the terror attacks on United States soil, I’ve been glued to the television. Although I work at home, these days I rarely turn on the set over my computer until evening. Today, I’ve watched the memorial services, and the “replays” of the event, as seen through many eyes and cameras. Although I can’t seem to switch stations, The History Channel’s “102 minutes that changed America” is particularly difficult to watch, as it shows not only the professional views of the attacks, but also the views from amateur video recordings. More emotions from people in the streets of New York than I’ve ever seen from that day. The video testimony assaults me both mentally and physically, much as the live coverage did on that significant day in our nation’s history.

On that day in 2001, I had my husband’s suitcase open on the bed, about half-watching The Today Show on the bedroom television set. He was on his way home to pick up the suitcase and leave town for an emergency service call to repair a machine for one of his company’s customers.

I’d left the room to get some toiletries for his suitcase, and when I came back, I looked up at the set and saw American Airlines Flight 11 – the first plane -- hit the north tower of the World Trade Center. I honestly thought that it was a movie preview. As they reported that this was breaking news, that at 8:46 a.m. a commercial airliner hit 1 WTC, the speculation of the reporters was that it was a horrible airline accident. Moments later, at 9:03 a.m., I watched as United Airlines Flight 175 hit the South Tower…caught live by the Today Show feed only because they were showing the damage and smoke of the north tower. One thing was certain to me at that moment…this crisis was no accident.

When my husband arrived home to collect his luggage, I told him what had just happened. I don’t think he believed that I understood what was happening until he saw the attacks on television for himself. But…he had a mission -- to get to the job, get the machine repaired and get those machine operators back to work. So, I finished packing his suitcase, and reluctantly let go of him so that he could leave. At the time, I just didn’t want him to leave at all. I was afraid to let him out of my sight. Later, I would be so grateful that he was driving and not flying. I can’t remember how long it was before I wasn’t panic stricken every time he had to fly. He still calls me as soon as he arrives safely.

The bad part about being self-employed that day was that after he left for his service call, I was alone with the television…and I couldn’t seem to tear myself away from it. From that point, everything was about these attacks. After he left, American Airlines Flight 77 was used as an assault on the Pentagon at 9:37 a.m., and then at 10:06 a.m., American heroes brought down United Airlines Flight 93 in a field in Pennsylvania, knowing that they were giving their lives so that terrorists could not complete their mission.

“Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America”. ~ President George W. Bush, 9/11/09

I remember becoming panic stricken…wondering how many planes were going to hit, and where, and when. As each additional time zone approached 9:00 a.m., my heart raced as I waited to see whether there would be further attacks. For some reason, I believed that 9:00 was the designated hour. I was particularly concerned about the Pacific Time Zone, because of so many military facilities – all branches of service -- located near around the Seattle area, where I was stationed and lived for so many years. I had good friends still stationed or working at some of those installations, and I was so very concerned for their safety. By then, all flights had been grounded, but my mind raced to all of the many other ways to cause massive loss of life and damage.

My mind had, and still has, so much trouble processing the idea that this could happen in America. I remember with anger how Iraq made an official announcement on state television that the attacks are the fruit of "U.S. crimes against humanity.”

I recall with much pride the words of President Bush when he later assured the American people "The search is underway for those who are behind these evil acts...we will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them." Those words comfort me -- in ways I would not previously have believed possible -- as I mourn each and every additional service member who is injured or killed in action in our nation’s response to terrorists. I know that they continue to be guided by President Bush’s message on that day.

I am still overcome by grief, at each anniversary of this evil and cowardly assault on the American people. I am overwhelmed by the reality and gravity of these acts of war, aimed not only at our government, but at the very foundation of the basic four freedoms we seemingly take for granted: Freedom of Speech; Freedom of Worship; Freedom from Fear; and Freedom from Want.

Many people changed their own lives forever as a result of these attacks. A new generation of patriots dedicated their lives to protect our country from further attacks on American soil, and to support those in our military services. We must maintain the resolve that replaced our disbelief when watching the travesty as it unfolded on that horrible day eight years ago. Support our troops. Pray for them. Write to them. Find an organization that makes their lives and jobs just a little easier during their lengthy deployments.

Please join us in demonstrating that a grateful Nation TRULY thanks our wounded warriors and the amazing medical professionals who care for them. We’re working hard to get it “right” this time. www.operationquietcomfort.com

God continue to bless the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment